Important Notices:

If you would like your work displayed here please send jpg to Karin

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Feb end

WORKSHOPS:

WORKING WITH LARGE SCALE DIGITAL IMAGERY FOR ART QUILTS







INSTRUCTOR:  Martha Cole  mcole@sasktel.net   www.marthacole.ca

 Studio G Art, Duncan, BC May 1-4, 2013

Workshop Fee:  $500. + $60.00 HST = $560.00
Deposit: $55.00 (due on registration, non refundable)

New technology opens many avenues for the textile artist, particularly with regard
to digital imagery. However, it is important that the work still “show the hand of the
maker”.  We will be working with large scale digital  imagery ( e.g. 14” X 20”, 16” x 24” or larger)
that is pre- printed from your own images using commercial printers.  In the
workshop, we will focus on how to enhance the depth and color of those images
using transparent fabric paints, coloured pencils, free-motion stitching and quilting.
This is an exciting new field with tremendous potential and this workshop will
provide you with a good working method to start you up this learning curve.

~~~~~~~~~

Lucy Neatby (Knitting) teaching at Studio G Art, Vancouver Island Oct. 22-25, 2013

Check  www.studiogart.com for details.





 
~~~~~~

Many, many workshops available right now for Book Arts!!!!!

 Above, please contact The Alberta Printmakers Society for information.

Below, contact CBBAG Calgary, blog and workshops.



CALLS FOR ENTRY:

Coastal Fiberarts 2013 exhibit.  A truly wonderful exhibit in 2011 and with a lot of help, we
are launching a  2013 exhibit.  Coastal Fiberarts 2011 had many, many great tapestries included
 so I'm hoping that many (or all!) of you will consider submitting work again.  For the Prospectus, go to:
                   www.AstoriaVisualArts.org
                   Entry Deadline = May 16, 2013
 Contemporary fiber artist and educator, Shelley Socolofsky, will be the juror.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Calgary Art Walks

Artists, the application for our Calgary Art Walks season is now available online!

Calgary Art Walks happens on Stephen Avenue on the first Thursdays of June, August and September plus July 1st Canada Day. There are thousands of people who walk along Stephen Avenue.  It’s a great location for exposure and it’s only $100 to participate. This is our 5th year hosting Art Walks.  Please go to our website’s Upcoming Events to find out more.

Thank you,

Julie Chandler
Executive Director
canadian artists for the poor
www.artistsforthepoor.ca

Facebook: www.facebook.com/artistsforthepoor
Twitter: www.twitter.com/cdnartists


MISCELLANEOUS: 

From Cheryl Atkinson, Lethbridge:
Hello friends,
I have been working on a piece for the Textile Surface Design Guild's "Reclaimed" challenge
 and it seems that a number of ideas have suddenly taken hold of my imagination. I hope to
convince you to help me out! Over Christmas, I knitted several small bird ornaments from a pattern loaned to me by Bev H. Since I had knitted up all of my fancy yarn making scarves for the Christmas Sale,  I used some leftover handspun yarns that were dyed in yellows, greys and greens using plants from my yard. Then I embellished the birds with felt created in a TSDG meeting several years ago. It was a small project that I used to keep busy in the evenings while watching movies with my kids. Nothing more.

 Well, the next bit is truly serendipitous. I received an email from my friend, Lynne H-J. Over the years, Lynne has sent around a number of inspiring website links. I received this one last Sunday and I just couldn't get it out of my head. http://www.midwayfilm.com/. A warning, it is very powerful and not for those with a weak stomach.

Now on Monday, I travelled out to the Crowsnest Pass to work on the annual TSDG operating grant with our treasurer, Wallis A. From the minute I arrived, I was surrounded by birds. There were scores of birds at the feeder outside the window and a small Christmas tree filled with bird ornaments sat on the window seat. I even saw wild turkeys making their way down the road as I left. So with thoughts of birds and tree and a genuine desire to change minds and sustain this planet, I spun all of these events together to concoct a challenge piece.

Here is where you fit in. I would like to create a sculpture made of many birds perched or hanging from my "reclaimed" tree. For each bird that inhabits the tree, I would like to make a $5 donation to support the film, Midway (which I understand is currently in post production and looking to debut at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2013). If you would like to help me with my project and Midway's filmmakers at the same time, I would be happy to donate $5 on your behalf for each hand made bird (natural or recycled materials only please!) that I receive for my tree. I will extend this offer to a maximum of 50 bird donations received bythe end of February. As I have made 5 birds, the fund is already at $25.00.

If all goes well, I would like to exhibit the finished artwork in Lethbridge at the Festival of Quilts in June as part of the TSDG's "Reclaimed" exhibition. If possible, I would like to mention the film and our small contribution towards it's making. After the show, if I can find a way to donate the finished piece to another cause that supports environmental responsibility, that would be even better.

Thanks for taking time to consider my request. I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have. If you know another fibre artist who might like to add to the flock, please pass along this message. TSDG challenges have often caused me to drag my feet in the past, but this time around I just can't wait to get started!


Contact Cheryl     idealfrm at telusplanet dot net 

 ~~~~~~~~~~
“ Green Tree” won Awards in the 2012 entry category and Award for the Best in Show at the Wearable Art Award at the Port Moody Art Centre on Feb,17,2013. 


Fariba Mirzaie Fashion designer & textile Artist, BC SDA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arlee barr has a feature article in the European magazine verFilzt und zugeNacht, issue 38, highlighting her embroidered textile art.

VIDEO:

Please visit the video page on this blog for interesting sound and vision bites!



 .

No comments: